Teachers and scientists designed this book to engage sudents in inquiry science and to extend science with interdisciplinary connections. The study of meteorites provides a unifying theme that links most every aspect of Earth and Planetary Science with Mathmatics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. The effects of meteorite impacts have serious implications for social science.
The activities in this book are designed for upper elementary to high school level children.
Meteorites, Clues to Solar System History gives a borad introduction to many aspects of meteorite science. It tells the story of solar system history from the formation of the planets to catastrophic impacts on earth. It helps the students learn how scientists use studies of these rocks from space to decipher that history.
Cover & Title Page
Acknowledgements & Table of Contents
- About Exploring Meteorite Mysteries
- About the Meteorite Disk
- About the Slide Set
- Science Process Skills
- Science and Mathematics Standards
- Lesson Topic Planner
- Lesson Sequence Suggestions
- Meteorites, Clues to Solar System History
- Meteorites ABC's Fact Sheet
- Solar System ABC's Fact Sheet
Where Do They Come From?
- Lesson 2: Follow the Falling Meteorite
- Lesson 3: Searching for Meteorites
- Lesson 4: The Meteorite-Asteroid Connection
- Lesson 5: Looking at Asteroids
- Lesson 6: Impact Craters - Holes in the Ground!
- Lesson 7: Crater Hunters
What Are They?
How Did They Form?
- Lesson 10: Building Blocks of Planets
- Lesson 11: Changes Inside Planets
- Lesson 12: Building Blocks of Life
- Lesson 13: Solving a Mystery
- Lithos for Lesson 13
What Effect Do They Have?
- Lesson 14: Direct Hit at the K-T Boundary
- Lesson 15: Historical Meteorite Falls
- Lesson 16: Near Miss